Greatest Night in the History of Television
The world is still reeling from the shocking incident of American actor Will Smith walking on to the stage during the 2022 Oscar awards and slapping Chris Rock hard on the face for joking about his wife, Jada Pinkett Smith.
Rock was onstage at the Oscars to present Best Documentary when he decided to take a jab at Jada Pinket Smith’s shaved head by comparing it to the look of Demi Moore in the 1997 movie “G.I. Jane.”
“Jada, I love you. GI Jane 2, can’t wait to see you,” Rock said, in seeming reference to Pinkett Smith’s shaved head.
— Francis A. Konan (@Francis_A_K) March 28, 2022
Last year, Pinkett Smith announced she had shaved her head after being diagnosed with alopecia.
Smith at first laughed but when his wife rolled her eyes after Rock’s joke he walked onto the stage and slapped Chris Rock hard on the face before returning to his seat and shouting:
“Keep my wife’s name out your fucking mouth.”
Later in the evening, nabbed his first Academy Award for his portrayal of Richard Williams, the father of tennis greats Venus and Serena Williams, in King Richard.
Here are some fun facts about the actor.
- His full name is Willard Carroll Smith Jr.
- He was a millionaire before the age of 20.
- He was born on September 25, 1968 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- He has three siblings; Sister Pamela, who is four years older, and twins Harry and Ellen, who are three years younger.
- In 1990, his popularity increased dramatically when he starred in the popular television series The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.
- The action comedy-thriller Bad Boys (1995), was the movie which thrust him to stardom. While the movie was not a critical success, it made more than $100 million worldwide, proving Smith’s star power.
- Smith gained a place in the Guinness World Records book for most public appearances in 12 hours, by attending three red carpet “premieres” for Hitch (2005) on 22nd February 2005. He walked the red carpet and introduced the film at Manchester, Birmingham, and finally for the premiere in London, England.
- Smith married Sheree Zampino in 1992. They have one son together, Trey Smith, who was born on November 11, 1992. The two, however, divorced in 1995.
- Will Smith married actress Jada Koren Pinkett in 1997. Together they have two children: Jaden Christopher Syre Smith (born 1998).
- Will Smith has a net worth of $350 million.